Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lake Taupo


Howl's lake echoes sky
Castles built in the mind's eye
Morgan's caldera
A.J. Ponder

yes, there's a story to go with the Haiku - I was travelling back from Auckland today with three teenage girls (and a Vogel award) and they happened to be discussing that Lake Taupo looked just like a spot in Dianna Wynne Jones' very popular book, "Howl's moving castle."

 Of course - I'm quite useless at pulling out my camera - even though the scene looked so pretty - partly because my brain kept on telling me there was no way we could really capture that wonderful panoramic on the spot view and partly drivers stress.  Hopefully I'll post a shot of the mountains from desert road - or something from our trip up.  Anyway, it was a fun journey - and I've rather enjoyed the wordplay in this - although I was rather sad not to be able to put in "Dianna's caldera" for the obvious reason that there is one too many syllables and it just didn't quite work - so then I thought it would be fun to give that honour to Howl's son - Morgan.  Hopefully he'll remember to look after it!!!

To check out the Tuesday Poem scene on this week - This week the lovely, talented and hard-working Kathleen Jones is the editor with "Joseph" by Michael Woods, as well as the current contributions from Tuesday Poets on the sidebar.

 A.J. Ponder

 A.J. Ponder's work is available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, and good Wellington bookstores

No comments:

Post a Comment