Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cul-de-Sac



I am walking
I was walking
I will be walking
past the road to nowhere
down the oft turned lane
where the green grass is speckled with daisies

Time to turn the fresh-faced flowers
into chains
I am picking flowers                                                         
I was picking flowers
I will be picking flowers
in the lost paths
down in the meadow
where the horses are grazing

Keeping the grass
            short enough 
for ghosts


 A.J. Ponder


Alright - that's not exactly the picture I wanted - or at least not the one I had in mind - but I think it works well enough.  Better possibly.  Let me sleep on it and make up my mind.  In the meantime I hope you enjoyed meandering through this temporary field speckled more with pixels than with daisies, so I would caution you not to try picking them out - or in fact using them for chains, not even to make crowns or bracelets, after all some flowers were always meant to be wild.

To connect to more Fairy Tale poetry I've installed a rabbit hole within this field, so if you find yourself, by chance, becoming curiouser and curiouser - please at least know I gave fair warning.   And enjoy :)

 A.J. Ponder's work is also available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, and good Wellington bookstores




4 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing with the 'concrete' form of the poem here, Alicia, and also the juxtaposition with the painting. My only 'doubt' with the whole thing was the "for ghosts"--am just not sure... (Not that I have to be sure: only you have to be sure, at the the end of the day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for your thoughts Helen - very helpful - I think you've picked up on my last minute trying to figure out where exactly the line "for ghosts" should go. For me it's a central idea/concept of the poem - but maybe those are the wrong words - or where I've placed them is just wrong. Will continue to play :)

      Delete
  2. I like it. And the form the verses take...perhaps a suggestion of ghosts might work rather than the actual word.I fell down the rabbit hole and landed at Tuesday Poem that was a surprise what a cool idea we will all be installing them now! And the painting is lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen McK, cheers for dropping by -
    and for helping me realise (for the second time) that my metaphoric ghosts (times gone by/echoes) hasn't quite worked. Damn! Maybe it's just a matter of having to kill my darlings (again) - but first I'll have to leave them out playing in the field for a bit longer until I have some perspective
    ;)
    In the meantime - there's this rabbit hole...people say it's a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete