Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Spider Poem Roundup - with a crafty surprise -

It's been fun revisiting  some of the poems of my youth, and whoever would have thought it would prove to be as interesting as - well a spider spinning a web.  As usual the links are alphabetical - and I've also added a link to a special piece of jewellery - a piece of gorgeous poetic fantasy from an amazing designer - with a link to a blog includes step by step instructions about how to make one for yourself -

Seriously, I know I've said this before, but do all my favourite authors write spider poems?

So with no further ado here they are...


Attercop! (Flies and Spiders) by J.R.R Tolkien
"...Here am I, naughty little fly..."  A total family fav from when the kids were first exploring fantasy.

Bruce and the Spider by Bernard Barton
A spiders act of courage spurs on "Robert the Bruce" or so this poem claims. 
Crystal Web Collar Necklace Copyright 2008, Margot Potter

Crystal Web Collar Necklace 
The spider weaving the fairy necklace is like a spider poem come to life...

Invitation to the Party by A.J. Ponder
"I have nothing to bring... "


A Noiseless patient spider by Walt Whitman

The Redback on the Toilet Seat by Slim Newton
An old fav amongst the young 'uns - and there are a few other poems in amongst this little collection of spider poems - at spiderzrule.com/spider5.htm

The Spider by Emily Dickenson
A gnome pun? really? 

Spider by A.J. Ponder
"Oviously..." ;)

The Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt
"Come into my parlour said the Spider to the fly..."

A Spider Sewed at Night by Emily Dickenson
I get this feeling Emily rather liked spiders...


The Spider Sewed a Silver Ball by Emily Dickenson
I think what I meant was I get this feeling Emily really...really liked spiders...

The Spider’s Web ( A Natural History) by E.B. White (Of Charlotte's Web fame)
meh - until the last line and then you are reading it over and over again....

Upon a Spider Catching a Fly by Edward Taylor (1642-1729)
There's no escaping the religous overtones of this old poem, but there's no escaping the keen observation and the fun use of language either, even if, or especially because it is quite old fashioned.

And finally in honour of the arachnophobes...

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey
Along came a spider
And sat down beside her...
And frightened miss Muffet away.

And so with that, no more spider poems - at least not for a long while - I promise...

cheers,
A.J.

A.J. Ponder's books are available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, Paper Plus and good Wellington bookstores.

P.S. If anyone finds or remembers any more spider poems they'd like me to include, comment below and I'll add them to the list above!

3 comments:

  1. Love all the spidery things crawling on your page -- I especially like the Spider and the Silver Ball, and the necklace! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a lovely post, Alicia :-) I was talking to a funnel web spider yesterday. Admiring his beautiful house so to speak. Needless to say he didn't answer...though I peered down the tunnel in hopes of spotting him/her.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. There's also mention of a 'spiderwiht' in the Anglo-Saxon 'Riddle against a Dwarf': http://colecizj.easyvserver.com/porodch3.htm

    ReplyDelete