Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Throw Away World


I gave you water
and you spilled it

I gave you flowers
and you crushed them under your boots

I gave you light and you hid from it
preferring to make your own

now, at the end, I give you darkness
and still you throw coal on the fire

A J Ponder


So tired this week, everything hurts like lead - and I'm thinking its time to start consolidating and getting some stories into publishable form and having them escape out into our little throw away world.  Time weighs heavily, and has to be meted out with great care - but the more I do that the more it slips through my fingers...

A.J. Ponder 

 A.J. Ponder's work is available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, and good Wellington bookstores

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, Alicia, I think this is one of the best poems of yours I've read! I like the way the energy flows through the poem (that sounds kind of pretentious, but that's the best way I can put it) and the way it all turns round in the final stanza. I'm seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tim, I have to admit I almost didn't post this because I wasn't sure it worked. so I was really excited to get your positive comment. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm with Tim - this is terrific - simple, unexpected (she makes her own light, interesting), and gathers energy - ending on a strong note that reverberates and makes the reader question. Great stuff. (And good luck with the stories)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Mary really appreciate you dropping by - especially as I definitely need some luck with those stories- and perhaps a little more perspiration too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with all of the above. Pithy and lean is how I'd describe this poem. Not a word wasted. Nice one, AJ!

    ReplyDelete