Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In the Future

In the future
people are going to be better
faster, stronger, better -
they'll be able to add up on all twelve fingers
and understand deca-dewy-hexa numbering systems without even thinking

In the future
everyone is going
to get places quicker-
they'll surf the net at unprecedented speeds
without ever leaving the comfort of their own support system

In the future
the world will be tended by robots
caring for even the smallest creature-
cockroaches will be able to cross the roads in peace, unmolested by
dogs or cats or any number of near-extinct species

In the future
I am going to be
sitting here with you-
my solar panels all turned to the sizzling sun
as the memory of a green world fries.

A J Ponder


I've been struggling and failing to find a storyline for the latest Arc Competition but I did come up with this cheery little poem- so that's good.  Still, for anyone that does have a story about life/technology in the near future it's not such a bad contest to enter (here), it's not bad pay and it's good recognition but do read the agreement (here) so that you know what you're getting into. 

Of course if you're simply into reading great poetry there's some really awesome stuff to look out for on the Tuesday hub with the featured poem being the brilliant Why Don't You Talk To Me? by Alistair Te Ariki Campbell and edited by Tim Jones. 

A.J. Ponder

P.S. Next week I'm hoping to have links to some Medieval themed poetry...

 A.J. Ponder's work is available through Rona Gallery, Amazon, and good Wellington bookstores

6 comments:

  1. An interesting mix of the positive and negative here, Alicia... I hope you find that storyline before the ARC competition closes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok I can see I'm going to have to work on my cheery despondency a lot. As for Arc it's a bit too long to ad-lib at this short notice - but there'll be another one, and maybe with a topic I can better get my head around :)
      Cheers for dropping by - much obliged for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. I had to read this a few times to see that it does have some rather awful predictions for the world but you have somehow managed to convey it as a bit of a joke, or is it that you are happy for the robots to be caregivers and the cockroaches which are the elders of the world to proceed unmolested for once! I like that bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's my narrator trying to put a positive spin on some pretty terrible things - but I'm not sure it was clear enough. Or maybe that's the point that spin merchants can make anything sound good - unfortunately I think I did the chirpy thing rather a little too well and it's undermined the impact of the poem.

      Delete