Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Surf Security



Surf Security doesn't like my words
Red circled exclamation marks
Proclaim to all
The unsafe nature of this text
Seeing fit to warn you
Of its revealing nature

After all
Poetry is for the mad,
The troubled,
The ghosts who lock themselves within galleons adrift

Never straying into in sight of
The breathy sea of swimming beaches
Choosing instead to listen to the
echo
Of reality booming
And the shrill cry of seagulls
So now you must choose
To fly far to distant lands
Far, far away from this uncertain brig
Where I lie
My breath thrown
higgledy-piggledy around me
In uncertain 
indecency

or turn your wings to the distant lands
to whence lies the unknown
the unknowable
the distant shore-

Or return to your cell.

 Alicia Ponder

An exciting weekend because I was lucky enough to have my poem, "The Trouble with Time Machines" published in "Eye to the Telescope," .  Check out in particular "Rapunzel," by Mary Victoria but there are also some great poems by people like Helen Rickerby (first up), Janis Freeguard, Peter Friend my oft partner in crime, and the surprising Joe Dolce, (better known for songs such as "Shaddup you Face" than his poetry).  Edited by the redoubtable Tim Jones its well worth a look - because as Tim says, 'Whether you love poetry, you love SF, fantasy, and horror, or you just want to find out what on earth speculative poetry is, there is something for you in "Eye To The Telescope 2".'

Also received my contributors copy of Challenge magazine, with "Survival" co written with Peter Friend.  Of course it's not Frankie, as my kids are quick to point out.  Thanks guys - but the magazine is absolutely awesome and I'm so proud to have been a part of it.  :)   I even bought some extra copies from Australia because I knew it would be popular and I'm already running out!  They're mine.  All mine.  

A.J. Ponder's work is available through Rona Gallery, Arty Bees, The Children's Bookshop and good New Zealand bookstores



3 comments:

  1. Alicia,

    I love "Poetry is for the mad,
    The troubled,
    The ghosts who lock themselves within galleons adrift"

    And congratulations on having "The Trouble with Time Machines" published in "Eye to the Telescope." Great news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this poem, could have been written just for me after lenghty talks with the poet! hahah. thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys. I remember it was a crazy poem for a crazy time. Pleased you enjoyed it - I really enjoyed writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete