Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Poetically Incorrect Poetry: The Haiku

The Poetically Incorrect Haiku: Seventeen Syllables Plus One

Five, seven, five - right?
What's the bloody point of that?
It's dead before it...
breathes

A.J. Ponder

I was absolutely gutted with this poem-because I'd planned "Seventeen Syllables" to be part of the first line, only to realise those two words alone contained more syllables than I could use. That just goes to show how hard Haiku is, and how clever the people who write it are. Next week, I'm hoping to do something similar with the sonnet to make it's structure memorable, but in an irreverent manner.

I keep wanting to explain myself, about form and the breaking of form, and why I did it, but I think it's self-explanatory. Part of me would have loved to keep it pedantically correct, because I'm in awe of poets with effortlessly structured, perfect form, but sometimes such things really don't fit the poem.

Have a great week, everybody,
A.J.


No comments:

Post a Comment